Friday, February 4, 2011

Serial Cable for SDR-Cube

Okay.. well.. I had issues with the 1/8" stereo jacks in many cases not fitting thought the SDR-Cube rear panel connector slot, so I eventually nibbled it out more (see prior posts).

Because of this.. when debugging I swapped Rx and Tx a couple of times on the serial cable since I couldn't get the cable to work with it not making proper contact in the 1/8" jacks.  I thought I swapped them an even amount of times.. back to the same pin configuration of the diagram I had on-line.. but apparently I had that diagram backwards, and swapped Rx/Tx three times instead of two.. if you catch my drift.

I also had N2APB say to me that "yeah, that was right" without really checking it so I'm only accepting 1/3 of the blame for this problem!  :O)   The "AUX" serial cable post has been updated and now there is a drawing on the SDR-Cube site finally.

As for the couple of insinuations I read that I caused people to waste a lot of time with this error, all I can say is that you need to test the cable with a running SDR-Cube first before you go to program the SDR-Cube!  If you don't it's your own fault.. not mine.  Make sure you get serial output before pressing in that menu button while powering up on Hyperterminal or your favorite RS-232 program.  It's a required check of the cable.

By the way.. all of this can be bought at a local RadioShack and put together in 5-10 minutes for less than $15 or so.  Or, bought from a SDR-Cube group member for $15 already done.   I recommend the upgrade to 1.01.. it fixed almost all of the minor nitpicks the group has had so far with the software.  Points to Juha on that..

Cheers for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment