Saturday, January 1, 2011

The DSP Card!

Wasn't too bad.  There was more parts on the board than I thought so it actually takes a little while to build.  Probably three and a half hours total taking out bathroom breaks, meals, etc.

It doesn't take an hour to mount the DSPic either.  It took me about 8 minutes and that was with videoing and doing extra rework because of the videoing.  But I already wore that topic out in the last post.

I also like to have clean boards so I was constantly cleaning this board.  The way the parts are laid out may it necessary to clean often.  I was probably OCD on this and took 30 minutes extra just on that alone!

I'm still looking for IC3.. and I mounted R47 first instead of last!  (There is no IC3 but there is instructions to mount it in the build instructions and R47 is a Do Not Populate).



Above is pictures of when both SMT Chip "cards" are populated on to the board-- but before the electrolytic capacitors and IC's are populated.   I put the LED's on early so I could get the first card out of the way.  Otherwise I followed the build instructions to this point verbatim.

During the PIC and IC mount I followed the instructions verbatim as well.  I only strayed by mounting the 2N7000's last (since I thought they might interfere with the mounting of the electrolytic capacitors that I find to be a little "fiddly" to mount.... probably they would NOT have interfered...)

And again... I won't be able to mount the right angle connector until I get a replacement.  So I unfortunately cannot fire up my board set yet.  :O(

Here is a picture set of my finished (except for the right angle header) board:



Yes, the ICD header is correctly mounted and I didn't snip off the pins.  The angle of the shot looks like that but it's kosher.

Overall the board build went well and I am confident it will give me much joy...

1 comment:

  1. I should have said the "second" IC3.. as the real IC3 is the PIC. I see as of today the error of install IC3 the second time is no longer in the build instructions. Always follow the most recent version of the build instructions as Geroge is still working out the bugs in them. :O)

    ReplyDelete