Sunday, March 13, 2011

QTU

I have been really active on the air this weekend..  I decided to try to fill holes in my WAS (and DXCC) paperwork.. I decided 25 years I'd do that.  I got the eQSL DX "25" award too.. I figured "why not"?

It's been harder than DXCC on LoTW is (so far)... so "so much" for the "ultra secure" LoTW being the "harder" system.  There are times the ARRL really irks me off (tho I support them greatly).  LoTW is so obtuse that 25% of the DX stations that WOULD participate on it say "hell with it!"  eQSL is "not legitimate" to many.  I look at is as a different award, like CQ awards are.

I did work a 3905 Century Club net, a whole bunch of DX and the Wisconsin and Idaho QSO parties this weekend.  I hope with 10+ Idaho and 100+ Wisconsin that those will get confirmed in eQSL.cc and LoTW.
It is rare that I do 100+ contacts on a non-field day or DX contest weekend.. but I did.  I'll pay for it.  The XYL is already mad at me.

"QTU" is the problem though this weekend... Something is hosed on the shack PC (I'm hoping a dead battery on the Real Time Clock on the motherboard) of the old PC.  Last night I just thought it was Daylight time and the fact that the HRD logbook (but not DM780 oddly enough) has issues with Daylight time transitions.   I probably blew some DX by having the stupid computer changing time on hour boundaries randomly.  I'll replace the CMOS battery and hope it fixes...otherwise it'll have to be replaced.  I've never seen a computer change time by itself.. but it's doing it every hour now.. I don't quite get it.

I also bought on a whim and took delivery of $213 of telescoping Aluminum ordered from DX Engineering.  I'm going to replace my 40m half square (on which I worked South Africa on last night) with a hopefully better performing phased array of two (maybe eventually four) elevated radial verticals on 40m.  If it works I'm thinking I'll need to do a 66 foot vertical too with a pulley on it so I can use it for 80m and 160m.  I'm starting to like the low bands.  In the winter I can do beverages so that should work next fall/winter.

Need to have the ground thaw for a week or two first...

I've not forgotten about the SDR Cube and the AMP projects.. I just wanted to so some spring stuff and operate.. if I never operate what is the point of all of this?

I'm really tired.

TTFN.

No comments:

Post a Comment